Melanzane Sott'olio (Marinated Eggplant)
- Level of difficulty: Easy
- Prep time: 10 hrs
- Cooking time: 10 min
- Servings: 4
- NO ADDED SUGAR
Melanzane sott'olio is usually made in the south of Italy. Anyone who was born there has tasted it and most likely grew up with it in their house. It's a very simple process that takes some time, but the result is delicious.
- 2 medium sized eggplants, thinly sliced
- 2-3 cups extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 3-5 springs oregano
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- Toss eggplant with the salt and place them in a colander (not to much salt). Place the colander on a bowl or plate, then place a sheet of wax paper over the eggplant; let the eggplants sit for 6 hours or ideally overnight.
- In a large saucepan bring the vinegar and water to a boil. In 3 or 4 batches, add the eggplant to the mixture, returning it to a boil and letting the eggplant cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove the eggplant slices, place on a dish towel lined platter; drain for 5 minutes.
- In a quart bowl add a layer of extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), then a lawyer of eggplants and as much garlic and oregano you'd like (we suggest not too much, just a few pinches). Leave 2 fingers of space; close with a lid and let rest.