Spaghetti alle Vongole
- Level of difficulty: Medium
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cooking time: 20 min
- Servings: 2
- NO ADDED SUGAR
Campania’s traditional plate, this dish is known around the world. It's a very simple recipe with a beautiful sea flavor –– a perfect meal for any occasion.
- Coarse kosher salt (to season pasta water)
- 6 ounces spaghetti
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (Olivaio)
- 2 pounds clams
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flake
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 Tbsp fresh leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Bring 3 quarts water to a boil in a 5 quart pot. Season lightly with salt; add pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until about 2 minutes before tender. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta cooking water.
- Meanwhile, heat 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, swirling pan often, until just golden. Add wine, then clams; increase heat to high. Cover skillet and cook until clams open and release their juices, 3-6 minutes, depending on size of clams. As clams open, use tongs to transfer them to a bowl.
- Add 1/4 cup of the reserved pasta water to skillet; bring to a boil. Add pasta to pan. Cook over high heat, tossing constantly, until pasta is al dente. Add clams and any juices from bowl to pan, along with parsley, and toss to combine. Transfer pasta to warm bowls and drizzle with remaining extra virgin olive oil (EVOO).